What are the Bengals Playoff Chances?
Following a few splash signings this offseason, the Bengals playoff chances are 78.7%, which is among the highest chances of any team in the NFL. In the table below, I've listed Cincinnati's chances to make the postseason, as well as some other relevant data to provide further context.
I calculate the Bengals playoff picture using the implied probability of the team's odds to make the postseason. You'll find playoff odds for every NFL team posted by the top Ohio sportsbooks. Converting the Bengals' current odds of -370 to make the playoffs provided the 78.7% chance highlighted above.
Bookmakers also offer a market on Cincinnati's chances to miss the playoffs. Converting the team's +280 odds to miss postseason gave us the 26.3% chance. The Bengals chances of winning the Super Bowl are sitting at 10%, which is good for top-five in the league. The Bengals have almost a 20% chance to win the conference and just under a 50% chance to win the division.
Outside of converting odds to implied probability, I also wanted to provide additional data with hopes of building a bigger picture around the Bengals postseason picture. I track the team's Football Power Index or FPI (ESPN), as well as their chances according to the New York Times Postseason Simulator. The Times has not posted updated an version but we expect it to be live by the time the season starts.
Cincinnati Bengals Playoff Chances: Key Offseason Updates June 2023
To keep Bengals fans in the loop this offseason, I am tracking breaking news and developments impacting the Bengals playoff chances then listing them below.
- 📆 April 12: The Bengals met with Utah TE Dalton Kincaid in preparation for the draft. Kincaid's prior back injury was cleared by doctors on the visit.
- 📆 April 3: Reports emerge the team is actively negotiating with QB Joe Burrow on a contract extension.
- 📆 March 20: Nick Scott is signed to a 3-year, $12 million deal to be the starting safety opposite Dax Hill.
- 📆 March 16: The top free-agent available at offensive tackle, Orlando Brown Jr. signs a 4-year deal worth $64 million with the Bengals after winning the Super Bowl last year with the Chiefs.
- 📆 March 16: Cody Ford is signed to a 1-year with an opportunity to compete for the starting right tackle position in camp.
- 📆 March 16: Trayveon Williams returns to the team on a 1-year extension. Williams will serve as the team's primary kick returner.
- 📆 March 14: Bengals extend starting LB Germaine Pratt with a 3-year contract through 2025 after Pratt recorded career highs in tackles, tackles for loss, pass-deflections and interceptions last season.
- 📆 March 14: Safety Michael Thomas is resigned to a 1-year deal after serving as a team captain in 2022.
- 📆 March 5: ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler says, the Cincinnati Bengals has not decided on their future with running back Joe Mixon and his $12.7 million cap hit and that they would not be using their franchise tag on safety Jessie Bates.
- 📆 March 5: The Cincinnati Bengals are allowing safety Von Bell and tight end Hayden Hurst to go to free agency without new deals in place. The team is not expected to try to keep Hayden Hurst, but may try to work on a deal with Von Bell.
I will continue to add to this list as more news breaks, so bookmark this page to keep up to date.
Where Can I Bet on the Cincinnati Bengals to Make the Playoffs?
You can currently bet on the Cincinnati Bengals to make the playoffs at sportsbooks like DraftKings Ohio, as well as others. You can also bet on the Bengals to miss the playoffs, if you think that's more likely. Betting of the Bengals to make the playoffs is expected to be a popular bet so all the top betting sites in Ohio are sure to be offering this wager at some point before and during the season.
Looking Ahead: Bengals Playoff Picture
The Cincinnati Bengals hopes to make the playoffs and Super Bowl rest heavily on superstar quarterback Joe Burrow and their dynamic defense, that ranked sixth in the NFL last season. The Cincinnati Bengals, under head coach Zac Taylor, have won the AFC North in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2012-2015. Joe Burrow, the current odds-on favorite (+650), to win the NFL MVP.
The Bengals will likely be moving on from running back Joe Mixon, who has been the team’s starting ball carrier since 2017, as well as, safety Jessie Bates who has been with the team since 2019. However, the Bengals, who ranked seventh in points per game scored on offense and ranked fifth in points per game allowed, should keep much of their core together and be poised to make another Super Bowl run where they were just 13 months ago.
Do the Bengals Have a Chance to Make the Playoffs?
Yes, the Bengals have a chance to make the playoffs. In fact, all teams still have a chance to make the playoffs because the season hasn't started yet. But, compared to most teams, I expect the Bengals to have some of best chances to make the postseason when the data drops.
Joe Burrow is sitting atop the list of MVP favorites. Ja'Marr Chase is one of the top offensive weapons in the league. The defense ranked inside the top 10 last year and returned most of their pieces. And leading the helm, Zac Taylor is one of the best young coaches in the NFL.
Cincinnati is unsurprisingly favored to win the AFC North, which could give them their third straight division title. Anything short of winning the division and making the playoffs, though, would be a failure for an organization this prepared. If you plan to bet Cincinnati at all this season, highly recommend checking out these Bengals sportsbook promo codes.
Are the Bengals Out of Playoffs?
No, the Bengals are not out of playoffs because the season hasn't kicked off. In fact, no team is out of the playoffs just yet. Worth noting, though, top sportsbooks are expecting Cincinnati to have a deep run into the postseason. Just take a look at the team's SBLVIII odds, most bookmakers have them positioned with the fifth-best odds in the league.
Cincinnati Bengals Playoffs FAQs
There are no odds yet available on the Cincinnati Bengals making the playoffs. There are, however, odds on them winning the AFC North, winning the AFC, and winning the Super Bowl, as well as, odds on the Bengals playing against all 16 NFC teams in the Super Bowl.
No, the Bengals are not out of playoff contention. Until the season starts and games are played, technically no team is out of the playoffs.
Yes, the Bengals have a great chance to make the playoffs next season. They return most of the starters from last year's deep postseason run while adding a few key pieces this offseason so far. Bengals are expected to have among the best chances in the NFL to playoffs once bookmakers release the odds.
You can currently bet on the Cincinnati Bengals to make or miss the playoffs through DraftKings and FanDuel, with other sportsbooks expected to follow with their own odds. You can also bet on them to win the AFC South, the AFC, and the Super Bowl.
Dan Thompson is a Lead Betting Analyst for BetOhio.com. Dan's unique experience makes him the perfect fit to find the latest storylines and interesting betting angles impacting Ohio sports betting.